John Richard Spodofora, Mayor, Stafford TownshipJohn Richard Spodofora
Mayor, Stafford Township
- Stafford Township Resident since 1957.
- Currently serving as Mayor of Stafford Township. Elected Township Councilman since 1988. Chairman of the Stafford Township Environmental Commission 1986-2011.
- Member of: Open Space Natural Lands Trust Committee and the CRS Flood Program. Past member of Zoning Board and current Planning Board member.
- Appointed to the “Governors Council for N. J. Outdoors” in 1989.
- Elected Trustee in the “Association of New Jersey Environmental Commissions” since 1990.
- Member of the Barnegat Bay Steering Committee.
- Member of the Jacques Cousteau Estuary Committee
- 2008, Selected by the Asbury Park Press “40 Who Make A Difference In Monmouth & Ocean County Award & Recognition”.
Major Environmental Awards
- 1st Recipient, National “Presidential Teddy Roosevelt Conservation Award”, presented by President George Bush Sr. in a special televised White House ceremony in 1990 for the clean-up and restoration of Manahawkin Lake.
- Only N.J. Recipient of the Arbor Day Foundation “National Lawrence Enerson Award” presented by Vice President Al Gore in a special ceremony in Lincoln Nebraska in 1994, for the development of bio-retention basins, tree and watershed management standards.
- 1st “Place “EPA National Award of Engineering Excellence”, presented in a special ceremony in Chicago Illinois in 1994, for the development of a comprehensive storm water management design & ordinance. This ordinance became the basis for the National standards.
- 2009, inductee into the “NJ Elected Officials Hall of Fame.”
- First recipient of the “International Environmental Excellence Award” presented at the 2000 World Environmental Conference.
- Alliance for a Living Ocean (ALO) “2004, Friend of the Sea Award”. For developing standards significantly reducing runoff from entering waterways.